For a class informational text, book clubs (literature circles), or independent reading, this packet will challenge your students to summarize and to analyze nonfiction literary elements using textual evidence and critical thinking. The standards-based questions are open-ended enough to use with a variety of middle school books.
This free nonfiction reading response sample is designed to be folded and stapled into a fourth-page student booklet with prompts for ten days of reading. The full priced product, as well as other genre resources in the series, also include the same reading response prompts in a full-page format.
Nonfiction Genre tasks include:
- Analyze text structure
- Identify supporting details
- Analyze an illustration
- Construct a diagram
- Identify the central idea
- Define academic vocabulary
- Evaluate persuasive language
- Consider a different format
- Compare information from multiple sources
- Summarize the text (each day)